Wednesday, June 29, 2016

KOVAR Regional Training Meetings
All meetings begin at 9 a.m. KOVAR Chairmen are expected to attend. District Deputies, District Wardens, and Grand Knights are encouraged to attend.  Any interested council officer or member is welcome to attend.

  • Tidewater Region: September 10 at Father Robert B. Kealey Council #3548, 211 W. Government Avenue, Norfolk VA 23503 for Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 28 and 30

  • Southwest Region: September 10 at Roanoke Council #562, 3136 Harris Street, Roanoke VA 24015 for Districts 23, 24, and 25

  • Northern Region: September 24 at Nativity Church, 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke VA 22015 for Districts 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 29, and 31

  • Central Region: September 24 at Father Robert W. McDonald Council #395 Columbian Center, 2324 Pump Road, Henrico VA 23233 (Note: sign at road says “Community West Church”) for Districts 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 21, 22, 26, and 27

KOVAR Vehicle Purchase Policy
  1. KOVAR’s strong preference is that organizations requesting grants for vehicles to have first applied and received a Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) vehicle grant. If the KOVAR grant applicant has obtained a DRPT grant for 80% of the cost of the vehicle, KOVAR will give serious consideration to funding the remaining 20%.
  2. If a requesting organization is applying for vehicle funding without a Virginia DRPT program grant, adequate justification for not seeking such a grant must be supplied.
  3. Grant requests for vehicles outside the Virginia DRPT program need to meet the usual 3 bid requirement of the Board.
  4. All bids should be based on as nearly comparably equipped vehicles as possible regarding capacity, power, and age (if a used vehicle) and must represent an "out the door" quote which includes the dealer processing fee, title, and license cost, but excludes any local and state taxes. 
  5. All other requirements having been met, the Board may approve funding of a vehicle outside the Virginia DRPT grant program for the lowest bid submitted, up to a maximum amount of $15,000.
  6. If the approved low bid vehicle is not available at time of purchase, the Board approved funds shall only be used to purchase a similar vehicle.

The Virginia Department of Rails and Public Transportation FTA Section 5310 program provides 80% of the funds to purchase wheelchair accessible vans for organizations that serve people with disabilities. KOVAR has awarded multiple grants in the past twenty years to Greater Richmond ARC to cover the remaining 20% of the funds. As you can see in the photo, they proudly display their appreciation to KOVAR.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Robert W. McDonald Council #395 raised over $2,000 for KOVAR during the weekend of April 8 - 10 while handing out Tootsie Rolls at Kroger in the Short Pump section of Richmond, Virginia. Among those helping the council were the two sons of council member Dan Redfearn. Daniel Redfearn, in his Benedictine Prep uniform, and Dylan Redfearn are shown in the photo. Dan, his wife Karen, and their two sons joined the Catholic Church in 2015.

Monday, May 2, 2016

The council would like to thank everyone who helped with the Mark Forrest concert, held by St. Francis Council #11136. It was great event and thank you everyone for your support! ‪#‎KOVAR‬

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

KOVAR partnering with Special Olympics
Rick Jeffrey, President of Special Olympics Virginia, addressed the members of Father Robert W. McDonald Council #395 on Monday night, March 21, at the Columbian Center.
Mr. Jeffrey described how Special Olympics is evolving to address the many needs of a person with intellectual disabilities (“ID”) so that they can become more independent and develop a greater sense of self-worth. Special Olympics is expanding their sports component by helping schools develop unified sports teams which include athletes with and without disabilities.
This effort gives the athlete with ID a means to develop friendships and integrate into the life of the school, while at the same time providing role models of healthy children who maintain a proper diet, weight, and blood pressure. The students without ID involved in these programs develop respect for their fellow students with ID, become more tolerant, and learn to advocate for those less fortunate in society.
The past few years, Special Olympics Virginia has invited medical professionals to set up clinics at the University of Richmond Robins Center during the Special Olympics Summer Games. This year Virginians with ID will receive approximately $450,000 worth of dental care, eye examinations and eyeglasses, hearing examinations and hearing aids, and physical examinations during the Special Olympics Summer Games in Richmond.
Annually, KOVAR provides Special Olympics with a $50,000 grant to be used in supporting programs for persons with Intellectual disabilities.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

On March 21st, KOVAR presented the Honoree plaque to E.W. Thomas Grocery Store, Palmyra,Va. They were the Honoree for Grant 16-21, Innisfree
Pictured below are 2 of the owners (left to right): Linda Dewar, Ed
Seroskie (KOVAR) and Beth Thomas.